Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Freaking out over a 5K walk. Yes, walk.

That's right. I am at this very moment insanely out-of-body because I have sitting in front of me (at this very moment) the registration form for a 5K run/walk that is taking place on SATURDAY .... FOUR. DAYS. FROM. NOW. And I sat for a while trying to decide whether I thought I could run it, and decided that it is probably a safer bet to walk--because I *know* I can walk 3.1 miles in a decent amount of time, which is to say, like, an hour. And then another part of my brain flips on and starts going "WHAT IF YOU'RE TOO SLOOOOOOWWWWWW?!" Because I imagine all these speed walkers looking as if they're trying to escape an advancing lava flow leaving me in a cloud of dust, who might as well be running if they just picked up their knees a little. It doesn't help that I've carelessly blown off one, two, three, FOUR perfectly good planned walks in a row. But I think back at that part of my brain, "No, no, no, silly. It's a run/walk to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation. It's supposed to be fun. And you're a pretty good walker anyway despite those little legs." And then I look down again and see CERTIFIED 5K COURSE & CHIP TIMED EVENT! staring back at me and I think, "Dear God, WHAT AM I DOING?!"

No comments: