Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sole mates

I got back on the road yesterday evening, albeit briefly and for the first time since the 5K. After the race, I was bothered with mild shin splints yet again, so I made the switch to my second pair of shoes, which are practically new. Although the run was not without pain, I could feel a definite difference in support with the newer shoes (which is exactly the same as my other pair of shoes, but I've only worn them once or twice). So hopefully I will be writing less about shin splints in the near future and more about the vast distances I've accomplished.

And now -- if I may -- let me give my shoes a long overdue shout out. They are the most wonderful running shoes I've ever owned, and obviously quite important to my success as a runner. They're made by Rykä, a company that specializes in women's athletic shoes. I wear the N-Gage Run, which I took a chance on and bought online after reading a review, and found that for runners with high arches -- like me -- it provides just the right amount of support without sacrificing flexibility. Plus they're super-light. Since I started running in them, I found that I don't have strain on my plantar fascia, or the ankle and knee problems that I used to have (from supination). Word.


No comments: