Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cardiomania!

Keith called me at work today to ask if I wanted to go with him to the gym tonight. That's right: He called to ask me. It must be a cold day in hell.*

I started on the elliptical machine, which I normally hate, only today I realized how amazingly well the darn thing works every leg muscle I own, and consequently the cardiovascular system. Then I got on the treadmill--because I can't stay away!--started running and couldn't stop. I was not aware that it was possible for me to run for 45 minutes on a 1 percent incline (to simulate the resistance of outdoor conditions!), but hey, you learn something new every day. I now believe that running a 5K is a reasonably attainable goal. Even cologne boy on the neighboring treadmill didn't bother me.

Although, now I'm home and sitting down and quite frankly, I'm afraid to stop moving. I know what will happen. Tomorrow morning I will awaken to weak rays of sunlight crawling through the windows and I will smile and think, "Ahh! Another day! A chance to start brand-new! What a beautiful gift!" only to be interrupted by the sound of my abs and glutes and quads and hamstrings and calves and shin muscles screaming in threatening chorus, "DAMN YOU, WOMAN!"

*His words, not mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

45 straight minutes of running? AFTER being on the elliptical?

You are my HERO.