Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Dignity and a new pair of socks

If I could wish for one thing, it would be to finish the St. Paddy's Day 5K with a bit of dignity, half a muffin and a large strawberry daquiri. Alas, I have been unable to follow my special 5K training plan because of my whiny shin tendons, who get all inflamed every time I try to run a little. So as it is, I may just get the muffin and strawberry daquiri. Oh, I'm sure I'll finish the 5K. But it may take 45 minutes, and I won't have any dignity by the end. Although I will have a new t-shirt.

In order to keep doing something without making my moderate case of shinsplints worse, I've been replacing the running days with cross training: elliptical, walking. I tried another 2 mile run on Sunday, although it was supposed to be 2.5 miles, this time starting on the bridge side. Good idea because running across the never-ending bridge wasn't as frustrating, however, the rest of the course was mainly uphill, which my shins clearly did NOT like. So I did a combination of running and walking instead. (In case you're wondering, I have been icing the shins--well, technically I have been frozen cranberry-ing the shins--taking ibuprofen and doing a simple shin-tendon strengthening exercise to take care of the suckers.)

I also bought three pairs of bamboo socks over the weekend. They are super-soft and naturally antibacterial, but significantly thinner than my regular old cotton socks, so my feet weren't as warm and my shoes weren't as snug, thus they kept coming untied. Ah well. Live and learn.

No comments: